Join the Alaska Chapter of ASSP by visiting the ASSP Society Website for a membership application, or contact our membership chairperson. Note on the application that you would like to be a member of the Alaska Chapter in Step One of the membership application under Chapter Preference.
- Top 10 Reasons to Join ASSP
- Personal Services
- Career Development
- Technical Resources
- Interact with people in the profession. While we are all strong advocates of technological advancement, ASSP serves as your primary link to colleagues, allowing you to put names with faces and keeping you in touch with who’s doing what, with the latest technologies.
- Get frequent updates on industry changes. Keeping track of the latest industry techniques and trends will be difficult. However, through ASSP’s publications, educational sessions and website, you’ll hear about the newest innovations and never question whether your behind the times.
- It’s the Information Age. One of the most valuable commodities today is information. The exchange of ideas and information and the need to work with others will prove easier with ASSP’s assistance.
- Prepare for your future. ASSP provides vision on how the safety, health and environmental profession will look in the coming years. While you focus on maintaining your daily operations, ASSP will look at what’s to come and what will provide you with new opportunities.
- Keep up with new laws and regulations. Stay attuned to the legislative and regulatory issues affecting your company’s bottom line. ASSP will continue monitoring these pertinent issues and let you know when to take action.
- Sharpen your skills. By attending ASSP’s educational sessions, seminars, conferences, and visiting expositions you’ll stay on top of your professional game.
- Save time and money. When seeking ideas and know-how for a specific project, don’t reinvent the wheel. ASSP has the tools and information resources to direct you in the right direction, saving you valuable time and money.
- Increase your clout. ASSP can provide you with the skills and tools you’ll need to climb that “corporate ladder.” A membership with ASSP can help you stand out from your peers, getting you the recognition you deserve.
- With constant changes occurring in the workplace, standards continually need updating, ASSP can help you ensure your organization is in sound standing by providing you with information and assistance.
- Discounts on services. ASSP provides reduced rates on technical publications, seminars, conferences and other personal member services.
ASSP MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS & SERVICES
As the nation’s oldest and largest organization serving the safety practitioner, the American Society of Safety Professionals, ASSP, is dedicated to enhancing the safety profession by:
- Accrediting high quality U.S. college/university baccalaureate and master’s degree programs in occupational health and safety.
- Fostering the development of future safety practitioners through the sponsorship of Student Sections at accredited colleges and universities with safety programs.
- Defining ethical standards for safety professionals in the ASSP “Code of Professional Conduct.”
- Recognizing outstanding accomplishments in safety and in Society service through ASSP’s awards and honors program.
ASSP keeps on top of developments in government regulations and standards, providing up-to-date information to members and representing members’ views through:
ASSP membership in the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
Secretariat for ANSI Committees on eight major safety topics and projects that will produce eleven standards.
Regulatory News, which is featured in Professional Safety each month.
The reference “Scope and Functions of the Professional Safety Position.”
Strong commitment to Governmental Affairs to protect the interests of Safety Professionals at the national and state levels.
TQA: Technical Question and Answer Bulletin
ASSP helps meet members’ personal needs through:
- On-Line Community featuring a career center, on-line directory, chat room, bulletin boards and permanent e-mail.
- Medical, accident, life, disability, and Medicare supplement insurance at low group rates.
- Fax on demand and Web Page information.
- A low rate ASSP MasterCard with no annual fee.
- Discounts on rentalcar rates in the U.S. and abroad
- Access to Quest International, a premier hotel savings program, which provides a 50% savings to more than 2,000 hotels and resorts.
A network of 30,000 safety professionals willing to share their expertise and experience.
Thirteen technical Practice Specialties serving specialized interests in academics, construction, consulting, engineering, environmental, healthcare, industrial hygiene, international, management, mining, public sector, risk management/ insurance, and transportation. Open to all dues paying Society members.
Professional Safety, our monthly journal, covers a wide variety of safety and health related topics on the cutting edge of the profession. All articles are written by practicing safety professionals.
Society Update, our online member newsletter, provides information about all Society activities, services and benefits, as well as related activities and developments of interest to members. The newsletter showcases ASSP’s most important assets-its members and chapters and appears on ASSP’s web page every other month.
The annual Professional Development Conference and Exposition where each June more than 3,000 safety professionals gather to hear many of the nation’s top safety and health experts discuss the profession’s major issues, and to review the products and services of more than 300 exhibitors.
Technical Publications cover a broad range of topic areas and subjects of concern to practitioners in the field of safety and health. From practical “how-to” manuals to self-study guides, ASSP Technical Publications offer a valuable tool in professional development. Special Member pricing is available on all ASSP publications.
ASSP has introduced the Professional Safety Academy (PSA) as an organizational unit dedicated to offering a higher level of career support to members and the profession. The PSA provides members with:
- Continuing Education Seminars aimed at improving skills, expanding technical knowledge, developing new areas of expertise, and increasing professionalism.
- Career assessment tools to assist safety professionals in positioning themselves for the next career step.
- CEUs and other education credits for maintenance of certifications and designations.
- Discounts on all educational programs.
- CEU tracking for ASSP sponsored programs.
- Jobseekers are encouraged to visit ASSP’s Career Resource Center for health and safety career resources.